≡ Menu

What’s The Procedure For Contesting My Spouse’s Divorce Filing In Brooklyn?

Being served with divorce papers can be a huge shock, and your first impulse may be to fight whatever way you can.

While contesting the terms of your spouse’s complaint may be the right thing to do, it’s important that you not act rashly in how you respond.

An experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney can protect you from making impulsive decisions that don’t make sense for you in the long term, so get good advice before acting.

Your attorney will advise you on how to respond to your spouse’s complaint.

By filing a notice of appearance, you inform the court that you wish to be an active participant in the divorce.

In other words, you’re contesting the claims in the complaint.

You may need to request a copy of the complaint, which your lawyer can also take care of, or even file your own counterclaims.

There are a lot of variables and a lot of options, which is where experienced legal help can save you significant time and money.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we protect people in Brooklyn from unfair divorce settlements.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 and talk to an experienced Brooklyn divorce lawyer for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.