≡ Menu

What Do I Do When My Spouse’s Divorce Filing In Brooklyn Demands Things I Can’t Possibly Provide?

When your spouse asks the court to award them things that you can’t provide, or can’t afford to provide, your response should be to contest the action by filing a notice of appearance that tells the court and your spouse’s attorney that you will be participating in the divorce.

This means that everything requested in the initial filings is now subject to negotiation, and you can present your own case and request things you need as well.

It’s advisable to work with an attorney at this point, especially when your spouse is represented.

Contested divorces can be data-rich and emotionally intense, and achieving a fair outcome can require a level of legal knowledge that most people won’t have.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we know that many divorces start with a fairly outrageous opening bid for things, with the knowledge that the spouse will contest and the ultimate settlement will be much smaller.

We can help you negotiate the very best outcome and pull back your spouse’s most ridiculous demands, leaving you in the best financial shape possible at the end.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.