≡ Menu

My Spouse Filed For Divorce In The State Where They Live. Do I Get A Lawyer There Or In Brooklyn?

Assuming that the filing is appropriate, that is, that your spouse meets legal residency requirements and any other obligation of the state where they’re living, then you’ll need to hire counsel in that jurisdiction.

When an out-of-state court is presiding over a divorce, they are limited in their enforcement actions for the out-of-state resident, so in some ways divorcing this way can be beneficial to you.

The marriage will be dissolved, but you may not end up with an alimony obligation or having to divide property.

Many people in this situation would still prefer to have the case handled here in Brooklyn, in which case you should consult local counsel to determine if you can challenge the other court’s jurisdiction and move the matter to this venue.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you understand your options in an out-of-state divorce.

Call 718-725-9601 and speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce lawyer for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.