≡ Menu

Do I Have To Pay Support From Brooklyn If My Spouse Files For Divorce In Another State?

If your spouse has filed for divorce in another jurisdiction, you may be in some luck, especially if you’re the wealthier spouse.

While temporary maintenance is a common feature of divorce in New York, an out-of-state court typically can’t enforce its orders against a person living in Brooklyn.

You may be able to see your marriage dissolved without significant loss of property or money.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t other issues that matter.

If you have a child that’s living with your spouse, you may find that custody, visitation, and child support terms are not to your liking and there’s little you can do about it.

While there may be advantages to you if the action is held in another state, it’s worth considering whether that venue best serves all your needs.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you get the divorce you want, where you want it.

Call 718-725-9601 and speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce lawyer for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.