≡ Menu

How Do I Divorce In Brooklyn If I Don’t Know Which State My Spouse Lives In Now?

Even if you’ve lost track of your spouse over the years, it’s still possible to get a divorce in Brooklyn.

The court will ask that you perform a diligent search of their past employers, friends you still have in common, or your spouse’s relatives whose contact information you may still have.

You should also search through public records databases, the Internet and social media sites, and other likely avenues for finding a person you may not have seen in a while.

If those turn up nothing, the court will allow you to use a process known as Publication Divorce, where you use the newspaper of record as a notice to your spouse that you have filed for divorce.

If they fail to respond within the response window, then the court will proceed with your divorce by default.

It’s important that you show that you’ve searched thoroughly before the court will allow Publication as the means of service.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you perform a thorough search to find your spouse, and if that fails, to proceed with a Publication Divorce.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.