≡ Menu

How Long Do I Have To Wait To File For Divorce When My Spouse In Brooklyn Has Left Me?

New York allows you to file for divorce at any time using the Irretrievable Breakdown grounds, assuming you meet state residency requirements.

If you choose to use the Abandonment grounds, you’ll have to wait one year from the time your spouse left you, and any effort your spouse makes to reconcile with you during that time will make it very difficult to divorce on those grounds.

On the other hand, using the no-fault approach with Irretrievable Breakdown, you can file for and obtain a divorce without waiting a year, and without risking your spouse playing games that would put your case at risk.

You’ll simply attest that your marriage is irretrievably broken and has been for at least six months, and the case will move forward.

If you don’t know where your spouse is, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help track them down.

If they can’t be located, we can help you obtain a divorce through default, without their input.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce lawyer.

Comments on this entry are closed.