≡ Menu

I Want Counseling Rather Than Divorce. Can You Get The Judge In Brooklyn To Delay My Spouse’s Petition And Order Us To Marriage Counseling?

Unfortunately, no. Judges in Brooklyn divorces do not have the power to set aside a divorce action by your spouse and order them to attend marriage counseling.

In fact, your spouse can divorce you without any input from you, and if you fail to participate, you will be subject to whatever orders the court puts in place.

This can include significant and long-term financial repercussions for you.

Many people are under the impression that they can delay pending divorces by simply not responding to the papers they are served with, but that’s not the case in Brooklyn.

If you choose to ignore your spouse’s filing, the court will ultimately find you in default and allow your spouse’s petition to proceed.

It is possible to delay divorce cases, but first you have to join the suit.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you with whatever strategy is best for you.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 to speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.