≡ Menu

My Spouse And I Live In Different States, And They Filed For Divorce In Their Jurisdiction. Do I Need A Lawyer In Brooklyn, Or In The Other State?

You should consult with an attorney in the state where your spouse filed for divorce, but it’s worthwhile to speak to an experienced matrimonial attorney in Brooklyn, as well.

There are instances where another state’s court can be persuaded to cede jurisdiction to New York courts, so depending on the specifics of divorce law in both places, you may wish to pursue a change of venue.

Your attorney in the other state should be able to give you insight into how your case is likely to play out and what the final settlement is likely to look like.

Compare that to what your Brooklyn divorce attorney tells you, then decide how you want to approach the matter.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino offer a free consultation so that people in situations exactly like yours can have clear guidance and the best possible advice before making a decision.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 and speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.