≡ Menu

Where Should I File For Divorce If I Live In Brooklyn And My Spouse Decided To Move To Another State?

It sounds like you’ve been a Brooklyn resident for some time, and lived here for at least part of your marriage.

In these circumstances, you meet the residency requirements to file here in Brooklyn (one or two years, depending on your situation), and allow New York courts to have jurisdiction over the divorce.
Since you and your spouse already live apart, divorcing may simply be a matter of having a judge ratify the decisions you’ve already made about how your property is divided and whether there is any ongoing financial relationship to work out.

Sometimes this can be an easy process requiring little input from your spouse, but in some cases more negotiation is required and your spouse may need to return to New York for hearings and other events related to dissolving the marriage.

You should work with an experienced divorce attorney who can assess your situation and give you a sense of how events are likely to play out in your case.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino also make sure our clients are protected from financial settlements that might hit them with unexpected tax liabilities and other problems.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 to talk to an experienced Brooklyn divorce lawyer for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.