≡ Menu

If We Married Outside The US But Are Brooklyn Residents, Do I File For Divorce In Brooklyn?

Yes, if you meet the residency requirement for New York, you’ll file in your current jurisdiction of Brooklyn.

As long as your overseas marriage was performed and recorded legally in the other country, it is a valid marriage that courts in Brooklyn can legally dissolve through the divorce process.

Whether you had a destination wedding as US citizens, or married elsewhere and then immigrated to the United States, the courts in Brooklyn will treat your divorce the same.

Marital property will be subject to equitable – but not necessarily equal – distribution to the parties, and issues like child custody and support and ongoing spousal maintenance will be worked out.

Wherever you married, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you have the easiest divorce possible.

We focus on our clients’ needs, and get the best settlement available for them.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.