≡ Menu

If My Spouse Mislead The Court About Income, Can I Get A Credit Or Refund For The Temporary Maintenance I’ve Paid In Brooklyn?

It’s an unfortunate fact that many divorces in Brooklyn feature a spouse who hides income or assets in an effort to manipulate the court and get a higher settlement than they’re entitled to.

When your spouse has failed to disclose income while you’ve been paying temporary maintenance, there are several approaches that can be used to make up for what you’ve already paid.

First, the court needs to know that your spouse has been working.

You can ask the judge to consider crediting you for temporary maintenance you’ve already paid, but it may be quicker and better for you in the long term to use the amounts in question to get a better balance in the final divorce settlement.

Judges do not like being lied to, and if you can demonstrate that your spouse has had unreported income while you’ve been paying temporary maintenance, you’re likely to get a much more open minded hearing of settlement terms than you’d otherwise get from the judge.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you get compensation for inappropriate temporary maintenance payments you’ve already made in your divorce.

Call 718-725-9601 today for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.