≡ Menu

Am I Required To Provide My Ex-Spouse My Social Security Number So They Can Deduct Alimony Payments In Brooklyn?

Your ex-spouse is entitled to deduct spousal maintenance, or alimony, on their annual tax filings in Brooklyn.

If the court didn’t explicitly order you to provide it, there’s an argument to be made that you don’t have to, but your ex can always have the court order you to provide it.

Without some sort of extraordinary circumstance, there’s no reason a judge wouldn’t agree to such an order.

If your ex-spouse has requested your Social Security number for tax purposes, the simplest outcome is simply to provide it.

If there is, for example, a history of domestic violence and you have concerns that your spouse can use the information to find you or harass you, then you should consult an attorney about the appropriate next steps.

In cases like that, it’s possible that your spouse violated a court order by contacting you at all. At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we can help you protect yourself after a divorce.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.