≡ Menu

My Spouse Can’t Afford To Keep Our Apartment In Brooklyn But Won’t Leave. Can I Ask The Super To Change The Locks?

No, regardless of who will ultimately take possession, or whether the apartment will be relinquished or sold, you don’t have the right to simply lock out your spouse ahead of your divorce in Brooklyn.

Odds are that your building’s superintendent wouldn’t agree to the action without a court order anyway.

Housing issues are a major concern for many couples at the outset of a divorce, and the topic is handled early in a way that lets both spouses protect their rights and interests in a property.

It may seem like you’ll be stuck cohabitating with your soon-to-be ex forever, but don’t worry.

Both sides will make their arguments, and through negotiation or judicial ruling, new arrangements will be made in short order.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we know the frustrations that come with working out the details of housing and other matters in a divorce.

We make sure our clients get the fastest resolution to the problems that are most important to them.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.