≡ Menu

What Are My Options For Brooklyn Divorce If I Don’t Know Where My Spouse Is?

According to New York law, a person is entitled to a divorce even if their spouse doesn’t agree to it.

The key piece when it comes to legal action is making a good faith effort to notify your spouse so they can participate in the divorce to whatever degree they choose to.

This gets very complicated when you and your spouse have lost touch, and for many people in Brooklyn, the time apart can be counted in decades, not years.

But when you need to divorce and can’t locate your spouse, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help.

When spouses have lost touch, the court will require a thorough, diligent search through public records, the Internet, old friends, relatives of your spouse, and any other sources who may help you to track them down.

If you still can’t find them, you may be eligible for what is known as a Publication Divorce, where the local newspaper of record is used to serve them notice of the action against them.

Publication divorce is unusual, but not unheard of.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you perform a thorough, diligent search for your spouse, and get your divorce with as little hassle as possible under the circumstances.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 to speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.