≡ Menu

If We Are Legally Married In Two Countries But Are Both Residents In Brooklyn, Do We Have To Divorce In Both Places?

No, if you meet the residency requirements for the State of New York, you can divorce in Brooklyn and dissolve your marriage in all jurisdictions.

In most cases, you’ll have to have lived in New York for two years for the state to have jurisdiction over your divorce.

Once that requirement is met, you can file in Brooklyn, go through the divorce process here, and receive a binding Judgment of Divorce that applies to both countries.

International and binational couples often have interests that are slightly different from those of couples who are both from the United States.

Questions like whether and when children can travel out of the country to visit family should be addressed forthrightly, and any marital assets held in other countries may face a different set of rules and tax implications.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino have years of experience helping clients from international and binational couples navigate the intricacies of their divorce.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.



Comments on this entry are closed.