≡ Menu

Can I File For Divorce In Brooklyn If I’ve Lived In New York For A Year?

In most cases, New York’s residency requirement for jurisdiction over matrimonial matters is two years, so for the time being, you’ll probably have to take up the matter in the courts of your previous home state.

In cases like yours, if you don’t have an immediate need to file for divorce, it may be worthwhile to consult with attorneys in both states.

Because every state has different divorce laws and different approaches to property, cash, and child custody and support, you may find that you have advantages in one state over the other.

Most divorce firms offer free consultations for people in situations just like yours.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we invite all prospective clients to reach out and learn whether they believe our experienced Brooklyn divorce attorneys are a good fit.

We can help you understand likely settlement outcomes should you decide to file in New York, which will help you compare your options to your home state.

If New York is a better option for you, it may be worthwhile to wait a year to file.

Call our attorneys today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.



Comments on this entry are closed.