≡ Menu

How Can I Stop My Spouse’s Divorce Filing In Brooklyn? I’m Not Ready To Give Up On Our Marriage.

Since New York enacted No Fault divorce (“Irretrievable Breakdown” as a grounds for divorce) in 2010, it has been possible to unilaterally divorce one’s spouse, regardless of their opinion on ending the marriage.

So while you lack the ability to force your spouse to stay married to you, you certainly have the ability to slow down a divorce action in Brooklyn.

What you shouldn’t do is sit on the divorce papers you’ve been served with and wait and see what will happen.

Eventually, what will happen is that the court will grant your spouse’s divorce petition, even without your participation.

It’s vital that you take reasonable steps to protect yourself, including speaking to an attorney about your situation.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we understand that many of our clients aren’t ready to receive a packet of divorce papers from spouses they haven’t given up on yet.

We can ensure that the divorce process proceeds as gradually as possible while you and your spouse continue to talk, while representing your interests vigorously.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.