≡ Menu

My Ex Owes Me Quite A Bit Of Money From Our Brooklyn Divorce Settlement But Has Been Out Of Work. Can We Create A Payment Plan?

Yes, you can create a payment plan when your ex owes you money in a divorce settlement in Brooklyn, but there may also be other options.

In general, the court assigns each spouse what the divorce settlement assigns them, and then it’s up to the parties themselves to work out the details of payments or asset transfer.

In cases where money is owed and you may prefer a different distribution of property, it may be possible to continue “horse trading” with your former spouse to arrive at a compromise you can both live with to pay off the debt.

This is especially true if your former spouse tends to earn less than you do, and the amount owed in the divorce settlement is unlikely to make it back to you in the near future.

To learn how you can collect on money owed to you from a divorce, call the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino today at 718-725-9601 and speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney for free.
Divorce Settlement

Comments on this entry are closed.