≡ Menu

How Can I Get A Court-Appointed Attorney If I Can’t Afford A Lawyer For A Divorce In Brooklyn Because My Spouse Has Cut Me Off?

Courts don’t supply parties in a divorce action with a court-appointed lawyer, but in situations where a wealthier spouse has cut off the other spouse’s access to marital funds in order to keep them from filing, or at least impeding their ability to file for divorce, the court will order payment of legal fees for the less-wealthy spouse.

Judges don’t like it when one spouse tries to play power games to prevent the other from leaving the marriage, and they typically go to great lengths to ensure that you have access to the courts and to the legal help you need.

You have a right to use the courts in Brooklyn, whatever your financial condition, and you have a right to the funds accumulated in your marriage.

Your spouse cannot withhold those funds from you, and they will be subject to equitable distribution during your divorce.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we can help make sure that your spouse stops treating marital funds as their own slush fund and that you get the resources you need to get a divorce and move on with your life.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.