≡ Menu

If My Ex Has Requested That I Take Custody Of One Of My Children In Brooklyn, Do I Need To Go To Family Court?

Any time you and your spouse develop a plan that significantly deviates from your court ordered custody agreement, you should seek a modification of the terms of your agreement in Family Court.
Even if it makes perfect sense for you to assume custody of one of your children, and you and your spouse are in agreement as to terms, conflict that develops later can result in significant problems.

To protect your child from chaos, and yourself from unnecessary battles – potentially in court – you should develop a new custody agreement with your spouse, and have a Family Court judge in Brooklyn affirm it through a new order.

Custody modifications are a common topic in Family Court, but it’s important that petitions are carefully drafted and filed.

You and your spouse should both understand all the implications of changing the custody agreement, including how it may change child support, tax deductions, and more.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino help families in Brooklyn address significant changes in their custody agreements.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn child custody attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.