≡ Menu

If I Take Custody Of One Of My Children In Brooklyn At My Ex’s Request, What Happens With My Child Support Payments?

More than likely, if you take custody of one of your children in Brooklyn, your child support obligation will be reduced.

Who Approves Custody Modifications?

Modifications to child support can only be approved by a judge, and to get the new support order, you’ll have to also petition for a modification of your child custody agreement.
Custody Agreement
Once you have a modified custody agreement reflecting that one of your children is living with you full time and that you are the custodial parent, you can ask the judge for a new calculation of your child support payment to your former spouse.

Whether and how much of a reduction you may see is dependent on many factors, and an experienced Brooklyn child support attorney can help you determine what your new payment may be.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can ensure that your petitions for custody and support modifications are properly handled in Brooklyn Family Court.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn child custody and support lawyer.

Comments on this entry are closed.