≡ Menu

I Was Just Served With Divorce Papers In Brooklyn. What Do I Do Now?

Whether you were expecting to be served with divorce papers or not, for most people, receiving a notice and summons from a spouse is disorienting and upsetting.

While those feelings are perfectly normal, once you’ve been served with divorce papers, you need to act promptly to reach out to an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney who can help you respond appropriately to your spouse’s complaint.

Whether you choose to contest the divorce or not – meaning that you notify the court that you will fight the terms laid out in the complaint – you should have clear-headed legal counsel at your side to ensure that you fully understand what’s happening, and how it may affect you now and in the future.

Lopsided divorce settlements can cost you tens of thousands of dollars or more in lost property, ongoing maintenance and child support payments, and lost retirement income.

As difficult as this moment may be for you, it’s imperative that you take steps to protect yourself.

Call the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino today at 718-725-9601 and speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.