≡ Menu

Can I Appeal The Divorce Ruling If I’m Paying Too Much To Support My Ex-Spouse In Brooklyn?

No, the appeals process isn’t the correct venue to address overpayment of support or other elements of a settlement that you don’t like.

Appeals are available on very technical grounds, such as where a judge made a mistake in interpreting the law or in a finding of fact, and awarding your former spouse too much in maintenance payments probably doesn’t meet that bar.

If you have experienced a change in circumstances, or if your income after payments are made is below certain thresholds, you may be able to seek a modification to reduce the payments.

Judges understand that personal situations change, and modifications are a routine part of family law in Brooklyn.

The appeals process, on the other hand, is a long and expensive approach to a problem that can more easily be solved in family court.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce and modification attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.