≡ Menu

I Adopted My Same-Sex Spouse’s Biological Child. Do I Have To Pay Child Support When We Divorce In Brooklyn?

Yes, if you have adopted your spouse’s child using second-parent adoption in New York, you should expect to pay child support according to the standard guidelines.

From the perspective of Brooklyn courts, once your adoption is complete, you are identical to a biological parent to the child, with all the rights and responsibilities that go with that.

That includes ongoing visitation as part of a child custody agreement, and the payment of child support if you are the non-custodial parent.

Child support is calculated based on both parents’ incomes, and for high earning couples the court will sometimes prefer to calculate a payment based on a full accounting of the expenses related to raising the child.

There are additional variations where a child has health issues or other less common considerations.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can advise you and help you develop an affordable child support payment that you can live with.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 and speak to an experienced Brooklyn divorce and child support lawyer for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.