≡ Menu

Will Adopting My New Spouse’s Children Change My Child Support Payments After My Brooklyn Divorce?

It probably won’t, as judges in Brooklyn tend to take the position that you’ve understood your obligations to your children from your earlier marriage.

That said, the key to child support modification is to show a significant change in circumstances. You’ve remarried, and have a household to support.

If your former spouse has also remarried and their financial situation is very different, it may be worth looking at the relative incomes of the two families to see if your payment has become lopsided.

If your former spouse and their new spouse earn considerably more than you and your current spouse, the court may be willing to recalculate your payments.

If you believe you are paying more child support than you owe, contact the Brooklyn child support attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation.

Comments on this entry are closed.