≡ Menu

Can I Seal My Name Change Records After Our Brooklyn Divorce If My Spouse Abused Me?

Yes, Brooklyn courts allow victims of domestic violence to change their names without public notification, and then seal the records so their abuser can’t use the case file to find them.

Because of the pernicious nature of domestic violence perpetrators, additional precautions are taken when people seeking to escape an abuser access the legal system.

The law recognizes that stalkers can and do use every piece of information available to them to pursue their victims, and accommodations are made to keep domestic violence victims safe.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, our attorneys work with domestic violence victims to ensure that they have every protection afforded by the state when they divorce, change their names, or petition for orders of protection.

Call 718-725-9601 today to talk to a Brooklyn divorce attorney experienced in the complexity of domestic violence cases.

Comments on this entry are closed.