≡ Menu

I Just Left My Spouse In Another State And Moved To Brooklyn. Can I File For Divorce Immediately?

No, if you have just moved to New York for the first time, you won’t be able to file here for as long as two years.

There are some exceptions that shorten the residency requirement to one year, such as if you married here and then moved away, or if the event that led to the divorce happened in New York.

If you need to divorce quickly, retaining counsel in your previous state to handle your divorce may be the best choice for you.

Nearly all states have residency requirements before new arrivals are allowed to file for divorce.

Once you’ve met New York’s statutory requirements for residency, you are free to file for divorce in Brooklyn at any time.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can ensure that you are fully protected and your divorce goes as smoothly as possible.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.