≡ Menu

Can My Former Spouse In Brooklyn Prevent Me From Moving Out Of State On Custody Grounds If They’re The Custodial Parent?

No, your former spouse can’t use your custody or visitation agreement to keep you in Brooklyn or New York if you are not the custodial parent.

The visitation agreement is not enforceable in this way; it is something you are entitled to enjoy, but not required.

On the other hand, a long distance move is something that should be considered very carefully when children are involved.

How will you visit your children in these changed circumstances?

Are they old enough to travel alone, or will you have to return to Brooklyn to spend time with them?

These are difficult issues for many parents and their children, and it’s best to work with your former spouse, if at all possible, to find productive solutions.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with experienced child custody and visitation attorneys.

Comments on this entry are closed.