≡ Menu

Why Can’t I Just Serve My Spouse With The Divorce Papers When I Get Home?

Third-party service, whether through a process server or an unrelated adult, is actually a core component in ensuring fair access to the courts by both parties.

When you sue a person, including suing your spouse for divorce, they have the same legal right to respond to your suit as you do to file it.

Without protecting the other party’s right to receive a complaint and trust that it is complete and accurate, our legal system would simply stop functioning properly.

While many couples would serve the forms properly and receive them with grace, it’s easy to imagine situations where a spouse would serve incomplete forms or none at all, or where upon being served, an angry spouse would respond with violence.

By relying on process servers, the court trusts that a neutral third party has identified the recipient and properly handed over the complaint, and will swear an affidavit to that effect.

The served party has been given the information that he or she needs to respond in a timely manner and be a fully informed party to his or her divorce.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can make sure that when documents need to be served, they are delivered properly by neutral third party process servers, and the court can trust that all parties have what they need.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 to talk to a Brooklyn divorce attorney for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.