≡ Menu

What’s A Conversion Divorce?

Sometimes couples realize that their marriage isn’t working, but aren’t sure they want to divorce. A legal separation, processed through the courts, can give both parties space to live apart and develop routines around co-parenting from different homes, paying child support, and living lives independently of the marriage.

After a year, if one or both spouses decide that the legal separation is working well for them, they can ask the court to convert the separation agreement to a divorce settlement, thus receiving a Conversion Divorce.

Many couples find that the slower, more thoughtful approach of a separation is better than deciding in the heat of the moment to divorce and then battling each other in court.

you choose to proceed, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you with the legal side while you decide what’s best for you and your family.

Call us today at 718-725-9601.

Comments on this entry are closed.