≡ Menu

Can I Get A Restraining Order As Part Of The Divorce If My Spouse Abused Our Child?

Yes, it’s an unfortunately common reality that as part of a divorce, one spouse will need to be protected from the other’s tendency to violence.

It’s even more important when the subject of a spouse’s abuse is a child, who warrants all the protection the law can provide.

If you are leaving an abusive spouse, it’s important that you develop a plan to stay safe.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help connect you to resources in the community that can provide shelter for you and your child.

Once the order of protection is in place and your spouse has been served and vacated the home, you should have the locks changed and, if possible, consider installing some kind of security system.

Having friends or relatives stay with you or drop in often is another tool in staying safe from an abusive spouse.

We work closely with clients who’ve left abusive marriages to ensure that they and their children are protected, now and in the future.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation with a Brooklyn divorce attorney.

Comments on this entry are closed.