≡ Menu

Are International Marriages Recognized In The United States?

Marriages that are performed abroad and licensed by the local authorities are valid in the United States, assuming they are allowed under the laws of the state where you choose to live.

The marriage certificate, or whatever the local terminology is for the public record of the marriage, is an important element to consider since many couples go abroad to marry in religious ceremonies.

A ceremony that is performed abroad by clergy – or anyone else – is valid only when a marriage certificate is issued by the local authorities.

When one spouse is a foreign national, there are additional matters to consider, like visas, immigration issues, and more.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can answer all your questions about marrying abroad and marriage to non-citizens.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation.

Comments on this entry are closed.