≡ Menu

How Can I Make My Former Spouse Obey Court Orders?

When your former spouse chooses to ignore court orders, take them to court.

Whether it’s disobeying an order of protection, failure to pay support, interfering with your visitation or custody, or anything else, it’s important that you not let your ex get into a pattern of disobeying the agreements that bind you both.

For many former spouses, playing games with the terms of the divorce decree are a way of continuing to assert control over an ex they believe shouldn’t have been able to get away. For others, it amounts to a form of harassment.

In all cases, your best bet is to let your attorney know the situation and take the matter to a judge.

Your former spouse will be called to explain their side of the issue and tell the court why they aren’t obeying a court order.

If they continue to be in violation, they may be held in contempt of court and spend some time in jail.

One caveat to this is that if you feel unsafe because your former spouse won’t obey court orders, you should call the police right away.

If you are not in an emergency situation, call the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino at 718-725-9601 and let us help you get your ex in compliance.

Comments on this entry are closed.