≡ Menu

My Spouse Locked Me Out Of My Home In Brooklyn – How Do I Get My Belongings?

First things first – your spouse does not have the legal right to simply lock you out of your home without a court order. Similarly, your spouse cannot keep you from your belongings.

However, if things have eroded so much within the home, it is worth it to you to contact a Brooklyn divorce attorney to discuss your options.

For instance, if your spouse has threatened you to keep you away, you may have grounds for a temporary order of protection which would remove them from the home and provide you with sole occupancy.

If you simply want access in order to collect your belongings because you have planned to move out, then the court can and will protect your right to do so, with or without your spouse present.

We strongly recommend bringing a third party along when this happens to act as a witness should anything go awry.

For help with illegal lockouts and retrieving your belongings during a divorce, call the Brooklyn divorce attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation.

Comments on this entry are closed.