≡ Menu

How Can I Change My Name After A Divorce?

Your divorce decree will include your right to resume using your maiden name, or other surname you used prior.

While this is standard for divorces, it never hurts to check in with your lawyer to make sure this issue is part of the judgment.

Once your divorce is finalized and filed with the county clerk’s office, just request certified copies of the divorce decree from the county clerk, then visit the DMV to update your driver’s license and the Social Security office to update your Social Security card.

Generally, these two pieces of ID are enough to change any other identifications that have been issued, but additional copies of your divorce decree are always available if you need proof.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help if you’re having trouble getting agencies to change over your ID after a divorce.

In Brooklyn, call us at 718-725-9601 for a free consultation.

Comments on this entry are closed.